You can use your Direct Express card to withdraw cash from any ATM that displays the MasterCard logo. Most of the 400,000 ATMs in the US accept MasterCard. There are several ways to find your nearest ATM:
- Use the MasterCard ATM locator. To search, simply enter your zip code, street address, or city into the search field and press enter. Once you get a list of nearest ATMs, you can click on a specific ATM for details about its location.
- If you don’t have internet access, call MasterCard customer service toll-free at (800) 424-7787 and they will help you find the nearest ATM.
- Use the Direct Express ATM locator. Click on any of the brand marks displayed on the page and follow the instructions.
- Use the Direct Express mobile app. You can download the app for free from Apple Store and Google Play.
- If you don’t have internet access, call Direct Express customer service toll-free at (800) 741-1115.
Direct Express ATM fees
Some ATMs apply a surcharge fee in addition to any other fees that may apply. The surcharges are usually $1 to $2, but since most states don’t impose any legal limits, they can be as high as $10 per transaction.
A notice posted on the ATM shows the surcharge fee and you always have the choice of canceling your transaction if you don’t wish to pay the fee.
If you use an in-network ATM, you will be able to withdraw cash without a fee. Direct Express has an extensive network of no-fee ATMs with over 75,000 ATMs. To find an in-network ATM near you, visit the Direct Express card website or call the customer service number listed on the back of your card.
Alternatively, you can simply look for ATMs with any of the following logos: Comerica Bank, Privileged Status, Citizens Bank, PNC Bank, Alliance One, Money Pass, and MasterCard ATM Alliance. These ATMs don’t charge a surcharge fee.
Direct Express ATM problems
As a Direct Express cardholder, you may experience one of the following issues when trying to withdraw money from an ATM:
- Depending on your location, finding a surcharge-free ATM near you can be a challenge. If you don’t live near a surcharge-free ATM, you can get cash back for free when you make purchases at many retail locations. Alternatively, you can get cash free of charge from a teller at any bank or credit union that displays the MasterCard acceptance mark.
- Most banks have daily withdrawal limits to help protect the funds on your account. Although Direct Express does not impose a daily limit for ATM withdrawals, many ATM owners do. You are only allowed to withdraw the maximum amount allowed by the ATM owner. ATM owner’s daily ATM withdrawal limits typically range from $200 to $1,000.
- If your card has expired, you will not be able to withdraw cash from ATMs. Be sure to know the expiry date of your card. If your card is expiring soon, ask for a replacement card well in advance to avoid losing access to your account.
- Your withdrawal may be declined if you don’t have enough funds. Check your account balance before making your purchases to ensure that funds are available.